The Sarasota County Department of Libraries and Historical Resources is looking for a full-time Archivist for the Sarasota County History Center, the Department’s one-stop shop for information and records relating to local history and culture.
The History Center is home to more than 300 archival collections containing historical photographs, maps, architectural drawings, films, oral histories, and the papers of local individuals, families, businesses, and organizations. The collection also includes a reference library and artifacts documenting both the history and prehistory of the region.This is a particularly exciting time for the History Center, as we are now in the design phase for developing a brand-new 30,000-square-foot facility to house the collection, plus spaces for research and public programming. We are also looking to ramp up our digitization program to expand public access to our growing collection. Our new Archivist will be very involved in the planning and implementation of both projects.
The Archivist works at the nerve center of the History Center’s vast collection, ensuring that all materials are properly cataloged and stored. Just as important, the Archivist also focuses on providing broad public access to the collection through exhibits, outreach, and digitization. Here’s a more specific breakdown of the Archivist’s responsibilities:
- Oversees the management of the Sarasota County History Center’s collections, including the accessioning, cataloging, storage, and arrangement and description of artifacts, archival records, books, maps, films, sound recordings, and other research materials.
- Evaluates prospective donations and existing collections to ensure alignment with the History Center’s collecting strategy and other departmental policies.
- Monitors the security and environmental suitability of the collection’s storage facilities
- Maintains accurate records relating to collections, donors, and intellectual property rights
- Coordinates digitization activities, including selection, scanning, and metadata creation
- Stays abreast of current trends in the management of archives and collections of historical artifacts.
Exhibition Design, Planning, and Installation
- Coordinates the development of new exhibits, including design, research, artifact selection, layout, fabrication, and marketing.
- Stays abreast of current trends in exhibit design
- Coordinates exhibit preparation and installation
- Monitors and rotates exhibits and their components as necessary.
- Contributes to educational mission by promoting and encouraging knowledge and appreciation of local history and prehistory through the design of exhibits, publications, public programs, and content for the History Center’s website and social media.
- Assists with research requests as needed.
- Contributes to public tours, presentations, and workshops relating to the collection and best practices for preserving historical resources
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Collections Management, Museum Studies, or Public History or job-related field and 2 years job-related experience
- OR- 6 years professional job-related experience can be substituted at management discretion for the required education.
- OR- Related professional program/ project management may substitute for the required education at management discretion.
- Master’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Collections Management, Museum Studies, or Public History, or an MLIS degree, and two years of professional experience directly related to the position.
Salary: $51, 542.40 - $69,284.80 based on experience
Please apply at https://scgov.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SCGOV/job/History-Center-Porter-Way/Archivist--Sarasota-County-History-Center_R15832