The Sarasota County Department of Libraries and Historical Resources is looking for an Assistant Manager for the Sarasota County History Center, the Department’s one-stop shop for information and records relating to local history and culture.
The History Center has two main functions: (1) maintaining an extensive collection of locally significant archival records, photographs, maps, books, artifacts, and archaeological specimens; and (2) administering Sarasota County’s historic preservation programs. The Assistant Manager plays a crucial role in keeping these operations going while ensuring a top-notch customer service experience for the researchers who come in to use the collections.
This is a particularly exciting time for the History Center, as we are now in the design phase for developing a brand-new 30,000-square-foot facility to house the collection, plus spaces for research and public programming. Our new Assistant Manager will be involved in planning for this new facility and growing the team that will staff it.
The Assistant Manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the Sarasota County History Center’s public research facility. This employee also supervises assigned staff and coordinates essential staff projects and functions.
More specifically, this employee will do the following:
- Oversee the Sarasota County History Center’s public research functions, including fulfilling requests for information and resources and supervising the use and handling of those resources by visitors.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate special projects, services, and programs.
- Participate in strategic planning for Historical Resources and the library system.
- Maintain a current knowledge of best practices for maintaining archives and collections of historical artifacts.
- Maintain and assist with the implementation of Historical Resources COOP and emergency response plans.
- Participate in the oversight of historic preservation policies and services.
- Manage, train, and evaluate assigned staff, and serve as the person in charge when the Manager is not present.
- Assist with managing the work unit’s budget and make necessary purchases.
- Prepare periodic reports describing the activities of Historical Resources staff.
- Serve as the History Center’s Volunteer Coordinator, overseeing volunteer recruitment, placement, and documentation of service.
- Develop and implement standards of service that ensure the prompt and efficient resolution of each inquiry by internal and external customers, delivered with the utmost respect and courtesy.
- Provide research assistance as required.
- Promote effective communication of information to all internal and external customers.
- Develop solutions to escalated Customer Service issues.
- Ensure training and development of assigned staff.
- Provide opportunities for continuing professional development of self and others, especially in acquiring relevant understanding and skills.
- Train, direct, and supervise volunteers as needed. Encourages volunteers to use individual talents to creatively address tasks.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Services, History, Public History, or a related discipline, and 2 years of related experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience working in a public library or archive.
Please apply at https://scgov.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SCGOV/job/Library-Assistant-Manager---History-Center_R15290