

Society of Florida Archivists

Board and Committee Meeting Minutes

December 12, 2019 @ 2:00 pm

*Attendees:* Mary Rubin, Britt Farley, Tyeler McLean, Jay Sylvestre, LuAnn Mims, Gerri Schaad, Annia Gonzalez, Krystal Thomas, Georgen Charnes, Doris Van Kampen-Briet, Susan Swiatosz, Laura Marion

Meeting called to order by Mary Rubin at 2:03 pm

Call for approval of minutes by Secretary LuAnn Mims, 2<sup>nd</sup> by Gerri Schaad, minutes approved

### **Board Reports:**

*President's Report:* Mary Rubin, wanted to report about fall meeting with board members of Florida Historical Society (FHS), along with Tyeler McLean, to talk about a future potential joint meeting in 2022 in Gainesville. The FHS has a January 2020 meeting where they will lock in for Gainesville. I will know by next SFA meeting more details and confirmation. I have spoken with Flo Turcotte at UF about any potential considerations about UF hosting again, she did not mention any problems at this time. To discuss this further I am requesting the next meeting quarterly to be approximately one and one-half hour in duration.

*Past President's Report:* Britt Farley, an email has been sent out with regards to the Nominating Committee call for volunteers. I will be chairing this committee. If you know of anyone interested in volunteering or being more active with SFA please reach out to me or Mary know.

*Vice President's Report:* Tyeler McLean, no report at this time, update later in agenda with other committees

*Treasurer's Report:* Jay Sylvestre, starting with the overall account balances – Checking \$1,655.51; Savings \$35,076.02; PayPal \$4,201.52. I have not shifted the tax year yet, when we moved to QuickBook online I am still updating our transactions, a few things didn't transfer over, so I am a bit behind for reconciling everything for 2019. This is something we can revisit in 2020.

We have moved to the Wild Apricot payment system, Krystal and I tried it out with a \$1 charge through the system, plus I saw a membership transaction, so it looks like everything is working the way it's supposed to.

*Secretary's Report:* LuAnn Mims, no report at this time

### *Directors Report:*

- Gerri Schaad, we have named people to the *ad hoc* committee for the Disaster Fund, but we have not had a chance to really discuss anything. With regards to membership, we are waiting on the renewals to begin notification on December 15<sup>th</sup>.

Question from Mary- has anyone heard of any institutions being affected this year? I know we had some follow up from Baptist College, but has there been anyone else? Gerri and Annia both said no.

- Annia Gonzalez, no report

## **Board Affiliates:**

*Web Communications:* Krystal Thomas, just wanted to update that we made the payment switch over, it was pretty easy. Everything is working, as far as I know. We are working to be ready for the mass renewals coming up soon. I have pretty much turned everything over to Georgen and Chuck. I am here to answer questions or trouble shoot if need be, but my official roll-off from the Communications team will be the Annual Meeting next year.

Mary: Thank you for everything you have done and for staying on the next six months.

Georgen Charnes, we do have a couple of issues that have come up with the website. First is the privacy of members. Right now if I sat down and Googled myself my member profile would be visible, not the email address, but my name and title, committees that I am on. I would like to set that information to be private, or only visible to members. If you are a member you can still access pertinent information that is not available to the general public. Every professional organization I have been associated with has made this type of information available only to members.

The other issue is the listing of Committee Members which includes email addresses which has been picked up by spam bots. We have a couple of ways to deal with that. We could take off the email address or we could replace the email with a space at space, it wouldn't be a direct link, but they would still be able to contact you. Or we could just leave it alone and say that is part of just getting some spam. Just last week spam went out to committee members from that page, we think. Doing this might fool bots, but not someone manually going in to copy. It just depends on what level of privacy you want to give our members.

Mary: that will help but will not take care of all spam.

Jay: I just went onto the SFA website, not logged in, and was not able to get to any detailed information, you have to be logged in to see the directories. It seems that our website is at the correct settings. The problem seems to be with Google searches, that's what we need to close up.

Georgen: I will make those privacy settings a little stricter to see how that goes for just general member profiles. And I will replace the @ with at for the committee emails.

Chuck McFarland, not present, report conveyed by Mary that he is working on the new list service Archives Space which was previously called the Google Group. We are testing, its not completed yet, that is why there has been no announcement about the listserv of some sort.

*Newsletter:* Jessica Orozco, not present, report read by Mary Rubin, she is working on the fall issue of the newsletter. She is also looking at ways to make our newsletter ADA compliant. Georgen provided some of her research which would convert the copy to pdf. She also looked at different publishing platforms that might be compliant (list of five different potentials). She will let us know when a decision is made.

*Journal:* Rachel Walton, not present, report read by Mary Rubin. With regards to the SFAj She is reporting changes in Board membership, Julia Ricks will be taking on the new editorial role, Second Copy editor – Darla Moore, Jinfang Niu expert reviewer for the Journal. These should be updated on the SFA and Journal websites.

Updates in response to recent surveys for improvements in documentation, communication the committee has combed through and cleaned up documentation and reorganized documents within the Journals official Google Drive. Also added permissions to sustain blind peer reviews. They have also created a Trello site for the Board members to document their steps, progress and processes.

This fall a meeting was held with the majority of the Editorial Board members to coordinate individual projects while waiting for submissions. All the members were re-registered in Open Journal System. With regards to submissions, we have heard from many who are interested in submitting content but no articles have formally been obtained for publication. We hope the holiday break will give folks a chance to finalize articles and ready them for submission. Meanwhile, we remind everyone about the opportunity the SFAJ serves as a publishing forum for professional readership.

*CUA Section:* Doris Van Kampen-Briet, a survey was developed last year that we hope to get out in January of this year. The next item is the by-laws revision to look at what we are doing realistically to determine what we really need – such as our own listserv. These are the kinds of discussions we need to have.

Mary: I believe the password documentation is in the Dropbox, do you have access to that?

Krystal: I can assist with this information. There was a listserv, it's been underutilized. This might be a good test sample for the new listserv launch. I will email you the information.

*RAAC:* Mary Rubin, I reported at the last meeting that RAAC was seeking out the National Coalition of History again but they did not receive enough donations so they are going to pursue other areas for a financial commitment next year instead of asking the regional organizations.

### **Committees:**

*Membership:* Susan Swiatosz, it is renewal season, this is the first time we are going through Wild Apricot payment system instead of PayPal. The reminder notices will be sent out December 15<sup>th</sup>. Please let me know if anyone is having any difficulties with their renewals. This will help me formulate some frequently experienced problems so I can troubleshoot issues. There will also be two additional notifications sent out – one at the end of December if you don't renew and there is a third sent out in the middle of January. After that we work one-on-one to find out if they will renew or not. Our membership totals are 197, with 5 new members joining since September. The breakdown follows - 4 are corporate and 31 institutional and 162 regular members.

*Revision:* Mary Rubin, a draft guide has just been sent to Annia, Tyeler and Laura for any additional comments and edits. It is anticipated to be completed by the end of January. It is approximately 14 pages of content about elements that encompass our annual meeting.

*2019 American Archives Month:* Tyeler McLean, we did 12 posts that highlighted 10 different archives in Florida and their collections on SFA social media pages.

*2020 Annual Meeting:* Laura Marion, we got the quote back from Flagler College about using the student center as a host site for the conference for 3-days use of the space- main conference venue and classrooms for overflow and a technician fee for \$2028. They are holding the dates for us until we decide to go forward with a contract or not. This seems like the best case scenario for space in St. Augustine.

Mary: Will we be charged for av technician for 3 days though we are trying for 2 ½?

Laura: I will get a clarification.

Mary: I am in favor of using this site, does anyone have any concerns?

Gerri: Some people might be concerned about walking the distance due to parking and shuttle service limitations.

Laura: I am going to reach out to Flagler to see if we can't use student shuttles since the students will not be in session.

Jay: Can you also check with the hotel to see what their rates would be for any of those days? We should have money to cover shuttles.

Tyler: The contact at the Double Tree Hotel has given me contact information for the shuttle manager, it seems like a pretty laid back thing so I'm optimistic that it wouldn't be too expensive or hard to schedule for that week.

Laura: They are used to working with large groups and they are willing to work with us on things like this. They may even give us a discounted rate. For the pre-conference ICS workshop space, we can use the Government House for Tuesday.

Mary: It sounds like the majority of us are in favor of going forward with the contract. Laura go ahead and get whatever document we need to sign to get this secured, send to myself or Jay.

Tyler: Block of rooms for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday nights, Laura and I have compiled a list of hotels in the St. Augustine area and Ormond Beach, looking at room availability and prices we selected four that we close proximity to the proposed conference site. Through a process of elimination Laura and I would suggest Double Tree. It is a mile away through the historic district so it's a nice walk for those who want to walk. There is a shuttle that is complimentary. The only other expense SFA is on the hook about is 80% of any rooms not used.

Mary: Do we have any numbers of how many rooms we have blocked off the last year or two? It seems like the majority or in agreement for Double Tree as well. Tyler get the documents to Jay and myself. This information needs to go out on the webpage.

Laura: We already have one sponsor on board, now we can work on others. We can start the process on all the other details now.

#### **New Business:**

*2020 Committee Appointments* by Mary include –Nominating Committee, Britt Farley- Chair; Audit Committee, Katherine Labuda – Chair; Awards Committee, Sarah Coates- Chair; Judith Beale Scholarship Committee, Rachel Walton- Chair. Are there any questions or concerns about those appointments? I am still getting a trickle in for volunteers for committee members, but the Scholarship committee is completely full, the entire committee from last year is returning – Bart Delcamp, Beth Golding and David Benjamin. They will be documenting their experience to pass along to the next committee when they roll off next year.

Meeting adjourned at 2:51 pm. Thank you all for your hard work.