

Society of Florida Archivists
Board and Committee Members Meeting Minutes
February 25, 2019 [viaFreeConferenceCall.com]

Attendance: Britt Farley, Mary Rubin, Jay Sylvestre, LuAnn Mims, Gerri Schaad, Jessica Orozco, Susan Swiatosz, Krystal Thomas Rachel Walton and Annia Gonzalez

President: Britt Farley, Society of Florida Archivists Board meeting was called to order at 11:02am

Secretary: LuAnn Mims, call for approval of the November 16, 2018 minutes, seconded by Susan Swiatosz. The minutes are approved and will be filed.

Executive Board Reports

President's Report: Britt Farley, just some follow up from the emails that have been going on back and forth. Once again SFA is going to sponsor the Florida History Day, Friends of the Museums of Florida History, and we will be sponsoring at \$250. This event is held annually in May, since we are all going to be in Miami, normally there is a representative from SFA who can represent us, not sure if we can do that again this year. I will send out an email to see who isn't going to be attending the meeting in South Florida and may be willing to represent us in Tallahassee.

I also want to offer congratulations and thank everyone for making the inaugural issue of the SFA Journal such a success. I know this is something we have been working on for years, under several presidents. It's finally out there. I am very excited that it's there and accessible, its open access so you don't have to be a member of SFA and have logins in order to have access to the articles.

The next item is about the Baptist College hurricane relief in Graceville. Some of you have been on the emails exchange, some haven't. To back track this essentially started back in October or November when Ruth Slagle from Baptist College reached out to the Listserv to say that her institution had severe damage and all of the essential employees, and essential materials were moved to an off-site location. She is located in Graceville, in the panhandle area close to Georgia. A bit after that she reached out saying that some of her archival materials were still in the facility and needs help in getting them out.

The original idea was that SFA was not going to just send money, but to get volunteers to go in, starting with two volunteers that could assess the situation in the facility and then make a plan for more volunteers to come move the materials out. Through exchange of emails, we are seeing that the administration for her institution is not on board with us coming in. So it is at a standstill right now. Through some personal emails, she has shared that it may never get to a point where we can go in. If I hear anything back, if we can be part of the relief effort there, I will let everyone know.

The next idea is to determine the location in central Florida to hold the next SFA annual meeting. Does anyone have any suggestions, have you spoken to any institutions interested in hosting in the central region Florida location?

Susan: I don't know if Gainesville is considered central but John Nemmers and Flo had mentioned at the last meeting in Tallahassee, that they might be interested. Both are very involved with many things, so they also thought of branching out to ST. Augustine as a possibility. Has anyone spoken to them about that?

Mary: Both UCF and Rollins College have construction going on, so if it would be held in Orlando, it would be held in a hotel like it was back in 2014, not hosted at an actual institution.

Susan: I believe that helped hold down expenses, not increase. I think the real work needs to come from a board/committee that isn't over committed already.

Britt: I hear that UCF is probably out due to construction, we can hold off.

Rachel: On behalf of Rollins College, we have 14 construction projects on campus right now, anything meeting there would be a real challenge.

Britt: Ok, so more like 2022 would be a better date. I will reach out to John and Flo at University of Florida to see, and to someone in the St. Augustine area. After that contact, if there is no interest, I will send something out through the listserv.

Susan: UF has a presence in St. Augustine, so they may be able to accommodate one or the other.

Past President's Report: Susan Swiatosz – I would like to report from the **Nominating Committee**, we have met several times on the phone. We have closed nominations for this year's election as of Friday. I sent out notices to six vice president elect candidates, three treasurer candidates and six director candidates for the SFA Executive Board, as well as two vice-chair elect candidates, and one secretary candidate for the CUA section. We have asked all the candidates to respond with a decision by the 4th [March] and to give a short biography if they accept the nomination. We will be putting together ballots on Survey Monkey and sending out the link via Wild Apricot on March 11. That is so we can have the required 45 days of voting before the annual meeting on May 8. There is a bit of wiggle room in place in case we have any difficulty getting the ballots set up.

We also contacted Sue to let her know that we will be checking the membership status of all the candidates who accept the nominations because they must be members in good standing. I noticed that one of the memberships that just went through this morning was one of the nominees, so they clearly read the email I sent and they are preparing to accept. Which is good because I have had four decline so far. We have asked them to contact with Gil who will be compiling and preparing. Does anyone have questions?

Gerri: No question, just great job!

Vice President's Report: Mary Rubin – I have no report for Vice President, but have multiple reports for later on.

Treasurer's Report: Jay Sylvestre - I will start with the current balances,

Balances:

PayPal: \$5,054.89

Savings: \$28,865.31

Checking: \$5,186.30

Total: \$39,106.50

On to other things, I emailed everybody with regards to the Wild Apricot payment system update. They are no longer going to support a free, third party payment system, of which we currently use. We use

PayPal to process all of our transactions through Wild Apricot - membership, donations. We have until July 2nd if we decide to move into Wild Apricot's payment system. As best I can tell, the only other thing I can tell we use PayPal to pay for our DropBox. It would be easy enough to switch that over to come out of Sun Trust. I will check to see if there are any other obligations we have with PayPal. I would move that we decided to use Wild Apricot's payment system rather than paying a 20% surcharge on top of our annual registration.

Susan: I will second that. [Call for vote – all Aye, no Nay]

Jay: Ok I will work through the process of moving over our payments through Wild Apricot. Do we need a second motion to close the PayPal account, does anyone have thoughts on the benefits of keeping it open?

Mary: Do we want to keep it open until we see how our members are impacted by Wild Apricot? Is there a way for PayPal to issue a check? So the member can pay and then put into Sun Trust?

Jay: Actually I have Sun Trust and PayPal linked so we can transfer electronically between the two.

Mary: I would be hesitant to close it until we see what the Wild Apricot system is like.

Jay: Ok, we could give it a full membership cycle and then reevaluate PayPal. We have until July 2nd so we can wait until after the Annual Meeting to not make changes for this year. So I can target for June 1st, we will not incur a surcharge until July 2nd.

The other item is that we have an outstanding invoice from USF St. Pete for our Annual meeting in 2017. At the end of the conference I was emailing back and forth with accounts payable at USF St. Pete to close out our remaining balance. The invoice they sent me initially had taxes on it, I requested an updated invoice without taxes. They sent one a few weeks later except their updated invoice had removed a credit we had for a deposit. I again asked for a final updated invoice that had no taxes and credited our deposit, which I never received. Now it looks like USF is trying to catch up on invoices. I spoke with them to let them know, I shared the email chain I had with accounts payable there. They have promised to send a final, updated invoice, then we will pay the remaining balance of \$1890 to close out the 2017 Conference. This is the correct amount that the invoice should be, there is no interest incurred. The initial emails happened over a three-month period, then nothing until two years. Hopefully this will get taken care of in the near future.

My last thought to add is what is going on with the disaster fund. I wonder if, SFA as an organization should make an announcement that says we now have this disaster recovery fund just as a way if people are trying to convince administration that we, as a state organization, are here to help.

Susan: We made an announcement in Tallahassee, I believe we spoke about it, it was included in my president's report. It shouldn't be brand new news to anybody. Maybe we could put something in the newsletter about it? We would need some type of application process to make it more equitable. Or would we want them to write a letter stating need? Do we want a committee to administer this?

Mary: Maybe just an announcement via the listserv and then the newsletter when it goes out again. We could have a page with a link where as we determine policies it can be accessed. We need to be transparent about the money and be clear on how it is administered, especially if we take donations from members for the fund. Plus, we need to define what is a disaster – natural or accidental, etc.

Britt: We spoke about this at the last meeting with regards to a committee to oversee the process to not only administer the funds but also what happens to the funds if they keep rolling over. We agreed to form an ad hoc committee last time, so we do not need to form the group until we have people applying. We do need to have additional discuss on function and definitions for assistance.

Susan: I do not believe we would need a by-law change with ad hoc committees. But if this looks like it could be a standing committee we may need to revise the by-laws.

Rachel: We did write in that the committees can be adjusted or reviewed every few years. So updates and changes are covered.

Mary: Would we want to get something started sooner, rather than later, to set some initial guidelines, policies, recommendations before the ad hoc committee comes together?

Susan: Maybe we should write it up for the newsletter, make an announcement about the intent, and formation of the committee.

Britt: We can do that, I will follow-up.

Secretary's Report: LuAnn Mims- has sent minutes and agendas to Krystal to be added to the website, we are caught up to this meeting. Thank you Krystal.

Director's Reports:

Gerri Schaad – We have been working on membership over the last couple of months, making calls, etc. before membership is archived. I am not sure what the membership numbers are right now.

Web Communications: Krystal Thomas – I am working on filling up the external hard drive to take to the State Archives since we haven't deposited any of our records with them in quite some time. We will also be including a copy of our listserv archives with that deposit.

I sent a hard copy over about our web analytics for last quarter, to be included in the minutes, September through December of last year. We had roughly 2000 users, most of which were new. Probably the most of people coming in to renew membership. I am looking into getting the numbers for all of last year.

The SFA gmail account, I set-up a permanent link for anyone who emails gets an immediate response saying "thank you for emailing us, we will get in touch within 3-5 business days." So that they get some response soon. The files were also reorganized to better sort the correspondence we are getting. Now there is a tab for "Membership," which also includes the PayPal receipts. The is another for "Treasurer's" correspondence, another other affiliated sites such as PayPal, and all of our paperwork required to remain as non-profit, etc.

Annual Meeting, registration is open and all set on the website.

Last point, we had some people request to be unsubscribed from the entire listserv last week, which created some questions. Bottom line, Outlook is not our friend, there should be an unsubscribe link going out with every email we send out via the SFA Listserv that says if you want to change your subscription, follow this link. Outlook hides that and turns it into an attachment, which you then have to click on to find that link. It is an Outlook problem, not our problem, not sure if there is anything else

we can do about that. I suggest we periodically send out a notice advising if they want to unsubscribe to follow this link. I have taken care of all of the request up to this point. It is up to the membership committee to add or delete depending on the status of the membership.

Susan: Is this something we need to ask when people join, if they want to be added?

Jessica: This is listed as one of the benefits of becoming a member, that is why we did an automatic addition if you joined.

Newsletter: Jessica Orozco, I finally received an ad for Atlas Systems, they are one of our new corporate members that joined last year. I am going to start featuring them in the newsletter. I received a special request to advertise for the Georgia Institute for Archives, I have already included that information and I am spot lighting the archives that happen here in South Florida. I will also include the call for proposals and registration information for our upcoming annual conference.

Britt: Due to someone hacking SFA Board emails, protocols need to be developed to prevent this from happening. They have no access to the membership list, just the Board members since they are listed on the website. One solution is to create generic emails for us – we would have to all use one Gmail, but they could still use that. Removing our addresses from the website is the only sure way to elevate this issue. Cons – it makes us not as transparent anymore, more difficult for people to access us if they have any questions. We may just have to deal with some spam.

Mary: Is there a way we can forward emails from the gmail account to all exec Board members automatically?

Jessica: I would have to check to see if that was a function, but I am not sure you would want to receive all of the email, especially the ones about membership, and Wild Apricot.

Susan: Maybe take everyone's emails off the website and put them in the newsletters, which are available on line, but would not be so easy for discovery by a spider-bot spam. Also put a message into the newsletter telling everyone why we had to do that.

Britt: We have options and now awareness that this is happening. WE do hold the membership information in protection since you have to log in to get to that level. Jessica was there anything else?

Jessica: Getting content for the newsletter for the winter edition has been a bit challenging, that is why there is a bit of a delay. I have been calling around looking for content. It should be out soon.

Journal: Rachel Walton - I just wanted to mention to Jessica if you need to content for the newsletter you can always ask me for a letter from the editor, or a new call for papers, just let me know.

We did publish in December, working on the next issue now for 2019. I have been able to work with the annual meeting program group to set up a table during the reception on Thursday night at FIU to make the Board available to folks for questions, putting the faces out there, making us more visible. Our goal now is to be more present, communication is a good way to do that. We are looking to create a communications role on our board, we are trying to draft that role now to allow a centralized person to do a lot of that coordinated work. At our next Board meeting here I will propose that, if its ok with you.

We have had a call out for submissions but none so far this year, so our mission is to put out another issue this year, it will be an annual publication. I will also participate in the Speed Meeting Mary has set

up for Thursday, so people can ask questions directly to me about journal procedures or the types of things we are looking for. Again, I am trying to be available and present where people feel they can reach out.

Long term goal for the journal we are thinking about after the 2nd or 3rd issue to request a budget line for the journal, not a big one since we don't have much overhead but we would like to print a small amount of physical copies for our authors. We are also interested in setting up a student paper scholarship so that the journal has student work represented every time. We want to encourage students in library schools to submit since we have several library schools here in Florida.

Susan: Rachel, wonderful idea, we want to support our students and new professionals, we don't have anything in place except the Beale Scholarship. I wonder if we could reach out to our vendors to see if they would want to sponsor or contribute to a scholarship fund.

Rachel: Great idea. That is about it for us. I will be putting out another notice, call for submission prior to the annual meeting.

Britt: Thank you Rachel and team for working to get this published. I look forward to see what our journal will be doing in the future.

Membership Committee: Sue Rishworth, not present, no report

College and University Archives: Sandra Varry, not present, report read by Britt Farley.

The group met last week, a final draft of their survey should be ready to send to SFU's Institutional Review Board. Catherine Labuda is setting up a spot at the Annual meeting for the University Archives to report on their progress and have a section meeting. She will also send out all of their previous minutes to Krystal to update on the SFA website. They are planning to update their by-laws with more specific duties assigned to each role in the section. They will bring that forward for a vote while in Miami. If you have any questions, feel free to send them to Sandra who was in a meeting today she could not get out of.

RAAC: May Rubin, I have no report that effects SFA.

Revision Committee: Mary Rubin, since I am helping with the annual meeting I will need time until after the meeting in May to solidify everything that this entails.

Annual Meeting Committee: Annia Gonzalez, this is our update so far. We have received 12 sponsorships and more emails from people, we may extend for another week to see if more come forward. We will also offer two workshops on Wednesday that week before the meeting. With the government shut down we are almost 99% sure we cannot do the tour around the Everglades. They were going to pay for the transportation, but not we can't afford to do it anymore.

Registration is now open I will send out a new email letting everybody know about that. We have our speakers for Thursday.

Mary: Big thanks you to FIU and UM they are paying for the majority of the receptions. Since that email we have gotten more sponsorships. UCF will sponsor the coffee. We are doing better monetarily. As Rachel mentioned I am planning a speed meeting on Thursday before our last reception, so far I have three confirmed to cover all bases – academic, public and regional to make people feel comfortable

about asking all kinds of questions. Which will lead to people feelings more comfortable in talking at the reception.

As registrations come in I am looking at who is coming to try and gauge who else I can ask.

Britt: I just wanted to say thank you for putting together this Miami meeting. I know that there is a lot of work that goes into it, keeping it on track. So I do really, really appreciate all that has gone into it. Was there anything else to add for the Annual Meeting Committee?

Old Business: Nothing noted

New Business:

Rachel Walton: I have a question – I am the Chair of the Judith Beale Scholarship committee right now. We have done a couple of posting on the website, social media, listservs etc. and we have not received any applications/submissions. With the deadline approaching March 1, this Friday, should we consider an extension? Has this committee every done that in the past?

Britt: I have Chaired this committee twice and people do usually wait until the last minute to submit. I you find that the deadline comes and there are no submissions then I would recommend extending it. You do not want to extend it to the point of having problems with the actual registration.

LuAnn: I Chaired last year and set the deadline a little later that what you have this year but really didn't get submissions until near the deadline. We may be bumping up on Spring Break/Exams, etc. which might impact a student.

Susan: We just opened registration, they may also be waiting to see what else will be added to the presentation schedule.

Britt: Did anyone have anything else to add?

Adjourn: Britt called for the meeting to be adjourned at 12:02pm. Motion was second by Gerri Schaad.

Respectfully submitted,

LuAnn Mims, Secretary

April 22. 2019