The Coordinator of University Archives will report directly to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives and be part of the Technical Services and Library Systems Department. This position requires a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. This coordinator will manage the University Archive Collection and coordinate the workflows for processing and use of the materials. The coordinator will supervise and train student assistants as needed.
1. Coordinate processing and maintenance of the unique collections comprising the University Archives entrusted to UNF’s Special Collections and University Archives.
2. Assess new collections when offered by UNF departments, faculty, and staff to determine if they fit within the collecting guidelines of the University Archives, recommend actions to the Head of Special Collections and University Archives, and create/execute the proper Deeds of Gift to transfer ownership to Special Collections and University Archives or correspondence to decline the donation.
3. Process new and existing collections, including arranging the collections according to current best practices, ordering archival supplies for collection storage, re-housing the collection, and assessing preservation needs for individual collection items.
4. Create finding aids within ArchivesSpace for each collection and create descriptive guides for collections on Special Collection’s LibGuide pages.
5. Coordinate with Digital Projects and Preservation to have collection digitized, including selecting the most representative items of the collection to feature online, create descriptive terms for metadata creation, and organizing the delivery of collection items for digitization.
6. Design and create exhibits that highlight University Archives collections both inside the library and in other locations within the UNF and greater Jacksonville community.
7. Train and supervise OPS students and volunteers working on University Archives projects. Track their hours and report quarterly to the Administrative office as to the hours worked in the department by OPS students.
8. Manage the use of University Archives by faculty, students, staff, and members of the community. Oversee the Reading Room calendar and set up appointments for use of University Archives. Provide orientation to new users. Maintain research metrics in RefAnalytics.
9. Administer email requests for facsimiles for remote users. Prepare permissions for use of collection facsimiles in publications, exhibits, films, and other uses.
10. Provide monthly and annual reports outlining status of on-going projects. Provide status reports to donors regarding collection processing, when requested.
11. Take part in outreach activities including presentations to students, faculty, and community members, designing handout materials describing collections, and attending community meetings as a representative of UNF University Archives. Determine departments and colleges not currently represented in the University Archives and create focused materials for outreach to those areas.
12. Contribute to overall success of Special Collections and University Archives, and the UNF Library by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience; ability to plan, organize, prioritize, and manage time effectively with minimal supervision; excellent written and verbal communications skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a directly related area of specialization; 2-3 years of library related experience; Experience using an Archives Management System such as ArchivesSpace; Ability to lift/move library materials (up to 30 lbs.); Ability to move loaded book trucks or hand carts.
Anticipated Start Date 08/08/2022
Application Review Date 06/08/2022
Point of Contact Information Susie Parks 904-620-2579
Hiring Official Susan Swiatosz
Approved Hiring Salary Range $35,568.00 to negotiable