

Society of Florida Archivists  
Board and Committee Members Meeting Minutes  
April 22, 2019 [viaFreeConferenceCall.com]

**Attended by:** Britt Farley, Susan Swiatosz, Mary Rubin, LuAnn Mims, Gerri Schaad, Alex Curran, Jessica Orozco, Sue Rishworth, Bebe Chang, Annia Gonzalez, Sarah Coates

**Meeting called to order** at 2:03 pm, Britt Farley

**Call for approval of minutes**, LuAnn Mims, move for approval Susan Swiatosz- 2nd Mary Rubin, approved with no corrections

**President's Report:** Britt Farley - looking towards the 2020 annual conference, emails were sent out to John Nemmers and Flo Turcote at UF for possible host site in Gainesville or St. Augustine. They are recommending St. Augustine and have reached out to the Governor's House for interest. They are interested in being on the local arrangements committee and also serving as host at Flagler College.

Discussion:

Gerri Schaad: suggested raising the rate to make it easier for the committee to manage based on the costs over the last few years.

Britt Farley: This was discussed last year, we can bring this up again, raising the registration fee to ensure we are not spending more than we are bringing in. Some of the meetings are better attended due to location, this site may be on the lighter attendance side so we can put that topic under consideration.

Sarah Coates: In a time of shrinking budgets for travel, it may be a wise idea to NOT raise the registration cost too much because people won't be able to come, especially a long distance.

Mary Rubin: I was going to suggest ten dollars to bump early birt up from \$115 to \$125, and regular from \$140 to \$150. We would hope to encourage early registration.

Susan Swiatosz: We have bumped it up several times, is now \$25 more than it was two years ago. If we go up again it may be too fast. I would like to remind that we have a number of people who are either retired or work where they are not compensated for this and it may knock them out of attending.

Britt Farley: We could just increase fees for non-members, and non-early birds that way we are not penalizing everyone with sharp increase. St. Augustine is difficult for a lot of people to get to.

Susan Swiatosz: We don't want this to be a meeting where only university archivists can attend, but not the smaller facilities due to costs.

Gerri Schaad: We could just have one open reception, everything else is on your own, or making it a shorter event.

Susan Swiatosz: That could be an option, we sometimes have trouble filling it, maybe the planning committee could speak to this a little more.

Mary Rubin: We had no trouble filling it this year, the location was not an issue.

Gerri Schaad: Maybe make the more popular locations longer duration, and smaller sites a one and half day option. This would help cut down hotel costs.

Susan Swiatosz: Also, we don't need to have a reception every night, it might be good to let people find their own thing. Unless it's totally sponsored, then that would be fine.

Britt Farley: Plus, the reception adds to your day. We are in a room all day and then another room at night - doesn't give you a chance to explore the city. I will pass along these suggestions to the committee so they can have flexibility to do what they think will work in their location. We can table the idea of increasing the price and revisit as its planned.

Susan Swiatosz: Its helpful to know who is on the committee, this year they were formed and ready to go right out of the gate.

Britt Farley: I will follow up with them, I know it's definitely John Nemmers and Flo Turcote at UF and Laura Collins at Flagler. Maybe we can have a discussion in Miami, but I will pass along these notes.

The next item is Florida History Day which we are sponsoring again and I found someone to do it, Rob Rubiero from FSU. He will not be attending the SFA meeting in Miami so he has agreed to go to the Florida History Day meeting on May 7th to hand out awards and take photographs with the contest winners.

The last item on my list comes from an email sent to us from Heidi Conner at Ringling asking about our code of conduct or code of ethics for SFA. In looking through our documents its inferred but do not have an exact statement on how we expect our members to conduct themselves. I know SAA has one, wondering if this is something we need to add.

Mary Rubin: Is this question coming out of any incident in particular?

Britt Farley: She did not say, but implied that Ringling was trying to put together a document and wondered if SFA already had one in place, which unfortunately we do not have a direct statement. It may be stemming from possible conflicts with various locations where conferences are held and recognizing gender identities and tolerance of diversity. This would be a statement to refer back to in case something was to happen which is why other groups are talking about it.

Annia Gonzalez: I think this would be good practice for us to have one that followed recommendations from SAA, a national organization.

Mary Rubin: This would also need to be included in the SFA By-laws.

Gerri Schaad: If it was a Code of Behavior for the conference, instead of a Code of Ethics, would that have to be added to the by-laws?

Britt Farley: I don't know, but could reach out to Rachel to see if she knows as she was part of that team drafting the last addition of the adopted by-laws. It's definitely something to think about but ultimately up to you all if you think there is a purpose to us having our own or a statement saying we support the SAA one.

Susan Swiatosz: In updating the SFA mission statement, I wonder if we could draft a statement of diversity and inclusion rather than just the ethics if we think this is where this is stemming from. The Society of Georgia Archivist website offers a link that serves as a statement. Then this is not part of the by-laws.

Britt Farley: That might be an alternative. Does anyone have any other questions or suggestions? OK, we can continue to think about that and I can reach out to SGA to see what's theirs looks like and maybe we can do something similar.

**Past President:** Susan Swiatosz, no report in this capacity

**Vice-President:** Mary Rubin, no report in this capacity

**Treasurer:** Jay Sylvestre, not present, no report, emailed report on annual meeting costs in a spreadsheet

**Secretary:** LuAnn Mims, no report

**Directors Reports:**

Alex Curran, no report

Gerri Schaad, no report

**Web Communications** - Krystal Thomas, not present, report read by Britt Farley. There are two new web assistants to help her, she has been doing this alone for the past six months. The new recruits are Chuck McFarland and Georgen Charnes [Boynton Beach Public Library], they will learn from Krystal and eventually take over administration of the web for us. Both have started working with social media, seeing more posts on SFA Facebook page and regular Friday posts have resumed. She is also helping with the general email which is especially helpful with the annual meeting coming up. Krystal will not be at the annual meeting this year but Georgen will read a report for Communications during the meeting.

**Newsletter** - Jessica Orozco, finishing up the newsletter to go out the end of April.

**SFA Journal** - Rachel Walton, not present, report read by Britt Farley. The editors report has four goals for the upcoming issue of the journal. She wants to reflect on their process and make needed tweaks, get files organized and stay in communication internally, recruit more quality submissions and promote the journal more visible and widely. To execute goals one and two they have developed a feedback survey sent out to all editorial board members. The data from these results will be shared with SFA Board at a future date but will inform the editors how to improve internal editorial processes and communication.

In line with goals three and four, the recent call for papers was distributed on March 5th via many organizational listservs including SFA. Additionally, the SFA Editorial Board has defined a new and important role that will allow us to do better external communications, recruitment and promotion called Communications Coordinator. This position is described, along with all of the other positions, on the SFA Journal website. The commitment for this position is a minimum of two years and will manage communications according to the Journal timeline and deadlines, develop a list of target organizations, authors, etc. to engage with, maintain and update the language of the journal, schedule and craft the

social media announcements and outreach, keep up with MailChimp lists, and keep up with internal calendar and communications with the Board.

She is asking for approval to create this new role, is there any discussion?

Mary Rubin: I am on board with them doing this, they know best what they need for success.

Britt Farley: I will let them know that they can proceed with Board support. She also reports that there has been some personnel changes with Xiang-Fe Neu, one of the two copy editors, is stepping away from the editorial board, but will serve as one of our many expert reviewers in the future. Darla Moore, from Rollins Collins, will step in as the second copy editor for this issue. These personnel changes still need to be reflected on the SFA and SFAJ websites and Rachel is working on that now.

For annual meeting plans, these are carried over from the last SFA Board meeting. She plans on providing a table during the reception on Thursday night at Florida International University to make the SFAJ committee available to everyone for questioning. She is trying to put faces to the Journal and encourage people to chat with them about research and writing. In addition, she plans to have a set-up at the last session so people have time to ask questions directly to Rachel.

**College and University Archives Section:** Sandra Varry, not present, report read by Britt Farley, the Institutional Review Board has been sent the determination form and survey and now waiting their decision on whether or not if they have to go through this process again since they are a year into it now. Sandra will be doing a longer report during the meeting in Miami. She wants to thank everyone with their help with SurveyMonkey.

**RAAC:** Mary Rubin, RAAC recently held a webinar part of a joint working group for advocacy with SAA, NAGARA and CoSA and I was able to attend. I need to write up a Florida specific report because there are some timely matters regarding the funding of IMLS and NHPRC and budgets given to those entities. I will be sending out an email to SFA sometime this week.

**Membership:** Sue Rishworth, membership numbers compared to last years - we now have 181 members compared to 144 last year. The breakdown is 150 regular, 29 Institutional and 2 corporate memberships. New membership since January is 23, with seven new members in the last 30 days. We dropped only 27 members who have not renewed as opposed to 50 last year. It's been very nice to have both online and printed membership forms the exact same. I think the retention is directly related to the phone calls we made in January and February. Not everyone was getting the electronic messages, it takes phone calls. I also saw people trying to renew from a couple of years ago, but they were not members, dropped in the last couple of years, came up as lapsed members. Also someone accidentally paid for the wrong category, working with Jay on getting that reimbursed.

I have a question for the Board, why do we have Institutional members designation? What is the benefit?

Susan Swiatosz: Some places might not have a specific person working in that position, and rather than having a revolving membership for changing individuals, they pay for non-specified memberships. Some institutions will not cover an individual but will offer the institutional.

Sue Rishworth: That is good to know so I can help members. That's it.

**Revision Committee:** Mary Rubin, my goal is to have new documents by mid-June, and then have the current annual committee group review them. Target for completion is mid-July, which will include all updates.

**Nominating Committee:** Susan Swiatosz, the ballots were sent out for the SFA Executive Board Election to all active members on March 14th. Out of the 173 ballots that were sent, 93 ballots were opened, and 68 were activated (opened and voted). So at this time approximately 40% of members have voted so notices will be going out this week and next week. We also sent out ballots to all members listed in the College and University Archives section, with 84 total delivered. Approximately 46 people opened the ballot May 5th is the last day of voting, results will be announced at the Annual meeting. Everyone is notified at the same time. Then Jessica will announce the members in the newsletter, with the website and social media following thereafter.

**Audit Committee:** Bebe Chang, the Audit Committee is pleased to report they have examined the accounts for Sun Trust, checking and savings, PayPal and that everything reconciled correctly with the general ledger. This committee has found no discrepancies for the 2018 year. Thank you very much. A written report will be emailed to SFA Board members.

**Annual Committee Meeting:** Annia Gonzalez, I would like for Mary to first speak about our latest request.

Mary Rubin: Emailed the Board last week to formally ask for an additional \$1000 to be used for the Annual Meeting. The Board also received a spreadsheet showing where we are with the funds. It looks like we are in the red but in reality we are about \$1100 over (on going registrations, another sponsors, etc). The request for additional funds is to put the sponsors in the hallway, approximately \$500 per day. Pushing them into the hallway would benefit the meeting. Any questions or concerns, please let me know. We do not anticipate any additional expenses and have moved money from one category to fill another. The graphic design expense was split between last year and this year.

Gerri Schaad: I will make a motion to approve the extra funds.

Susan Swiatosz: Second (all ayes, no nays)

Britt Farley: Mary and Annia go ahead with the additional funding.

**Awards Committee:** Sarah Coates, we had one nominee for the Award of Excellence this year with three well written nominations for this person, and I am very pleased to announce that Rachel Walton is this year's recipient. I believe that she will be attending the conference this year. I would appreciate clarification on actual award - is it a certificate and trophy or something else?

Britt Farley: Either or, purchase what you want and we can reimburse you. An alternative is someone can do it for you, just let me know, I don't mind. It depends on what you want to do. Last year the recipient received flowers, it was a nice touch. Be sure to have something written to say and its good if you have one of the nominators to speak as well.

**Judith Beale Scholarship Committee:** Rachel Walton, not present, report read by Britt Farley. The Scholarship committee has chosen Claire Barnewolt, a new professional, Carady DeSimone, a student, and Kryslynn Collozo, also a new professional. She is working with Jay on getting their registration covered by disbursing a stipend for them. She is waiting on them to register to confirm their attendance. The total funds coming from the account is \$890, which is separate from the general SFA fund. We hope to build that fund back up with the silent auction held at the annual meeting.

**Old/New Business-**Britt Farley, nothing noted.

**Meeting adjourned** at 3:02 pm by Britt Farley