Broward County, Board of County Commissioners is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, knowledgeable and efficient candidate to serve as the Librarian, Senior - Archivist of Special Collections within the Libraries Division. This position may be assigned to any location within the Libraries Division based on operational needs. The Librarian, Senior - Archivist will work to expand access to and promote the Libraries archives, manuscripts and its special collections. Our Flagship libraries have a rich collection documenting the anthropology, geology and archival history; it features manuscript writings and books, including first edition titles, limited printings autographed and rare publications, and the African American experience and the African Diaspora;. The extensive collection of books, personal papers, organizational and institutional records supports research in education, literature, and community.
The purpose of this position is to expand access, improve and promote usage of the archives through online exhibits, publications, presentations, instructional sessions and outreach activities. With a commitment to employing efficient archival process methods, this position is responsible for accessioning, processing, preserving and providing access to Special Collections materials in all formats; not limited to, coordinating, collecting, organizing and maintaining control over a wide-range of primary sources in many formats in accordance with accepted standards, practices and processes.
The ideal candidate for this position will have experience that includes creating digital projects, exhibits, outreach activities; interacting with existing and potential donors of archival collections, and other stakeholders to ensure the preservation of historical materials; creating and enhancing finding aids, and bibliographic records based on current standards, best practices, research, and analysis; participating in developing grants and accompanying budgets; assisting in prioritizing the preservation, conservation, and security needs of the collections; overseeing the physical and intellectual control of the archives, manuscripts and special collections through appraisal, arrangement, description, and creation of finding aids; coordinating and delivering educational and public outreach programs, such as tours, workshops, lectures, and classes; recommending policy guidelines concerning public access and use of materials; assisting the public in using collections by explaining available resources and methods for locating information; assisting with curating and appraisals to determine function, authenticity and evidential value; planning exhibits by organizing and interpreting historical records for public presentation.
Salary: $53,534.00 - $85,441.62 (Yearly Salary)
- Minimum Experience, Skills and Education Requirements:
- Requires a Master's degree from a college or university accredited by the American Library Association in Library Science, Library Information Science and/or closely related field.
- Requires (one) year of library experience providing services to all ages.
- Masters' degree or higher in Archival Studies and or African-American Studies.
- Certification in Archival Studies.
- One (1) year or more experience processing historical/archival collections, creating DACS-compliant finding aids and encoding finding aids related to African and African-American history and culture and culture and/or content related to diverse communities and topics.
- Two (2) or more years experience cataloging archives.
- One (1) year or more experience identifying and cultivating prospective donors, negotiating gifts, preparing deeds of gift and deposit agreements, maintaining current knowledge of sources for appraisals, relevant tax regulations, and professional legal resources, creating strategies for long-term donor stewardship.
- One (1) year or more planning and implementing programs and publications that promote and interpret collections, such as: exhibits, conferences, guest lectures, public speaking, and other active forms of outreach.
- One (1) year or more using archival and content management systems, such as ArchivesSpace, Archon, and/or CONTENTdm.
Apply at https://joblist.ala.org/job/librarian-senior-archivist/49213450/