Job Title: University Archivist, Nova Southeastern University
Position Number: 997272
Center: Alvin Sherman Library, Research & Information Technology Center
Location: Main Campus, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Job Open Date: 10-14-2016
Job Close Date: Open Until Filled
Job Category: Exempt
Hiring Range: Commensurate with Experience
Pay Basis: Annually
Subject to Grant Funding?: No
Job Grade/level: 90
Type of Shift: Non-Faculty Full time
Benefits Eligible: Reg FT w/Benefits
Primary Purpose: The University Archivist is responsible for appraising, collecting, organizing, describing, preserving, and making available for research and reference use those official University records and those ancillary records of the University community of sufficient historical, legal, fiscal, and/or administrative value to warrant permanent preservation, including special collections.
Essential Job Functions:
- Arranges and describes archival collections of organizational records and personal papers, performs rehousing and other basic preservation needs, and prepares finding aids in accordance with local and national standards.
- Analyzes current condition of materials and implements appropriate preservation measures for use and long term storage.
- Provides information services that will assist the operation of the University. Serves research and scholarship by making available and encouraging use of its collection by members of the University and the community at large.
- Develops effective systems for recording and retrieving information on the collections held in the NSU Archives.
- Directly supervises assigned staff and is responsible for hiring, conducting performance evaluations, training, and any other employee related actions.
- Develops methodologies for locating and acquiring materials campus wide including enforcing the university wide Records Management and Destruction Policy as it relates to collections which must be relocated to the University Archives.
- Advises administrators and directs staff regarding scheduling records for permanent retention or weeding in the archives.
- Manages the NSU institutional repository.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions:
- Represents the Archives through active participation in NSU Libraries committees and professional organizations, engaging in research, publication, and presentation.
- Develops exhibits and make presentations to relevant internal and external groups.
- Seeks opportunities for grant funding and prepare funding proposals.
- Works with appropriate college office, alumni and other entities in identifying potential donors and materials that support the university's mission.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of the archives and records management field with supporting experience and education, preferably in a university setting.
- Thorough knowledge of best practices in digitization, metadata, storage, and management of archival and digital assets and ability to maintain a current awareness of trends and developments in the field of archives management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to address challenges and opportunities associated with evaluating the current program and making recommendations concerning the future management and development of the archival institutional records.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as a self-motivated, performance-driven professional as well as in a collegial and collaborative manner across library departments and campus wide including the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing including public speaking and presentations.
- Demonstrated ability in establishing and maintaining relationships with a wide range of users and constituencies including faculty, staff and the public to support the building and use of archival and special collection holdings.
- Knowledge of web development tools and technologies and also markup languages to include: HTML, XML, and EAD.
- Extensive knowledge of the online platforms for displaying archival collections.
- Knowledge of ethical and legal concerns (including copyright) affecting acquisition, management and access to archival holdings and digital collections.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
Required Education: Master's Degree
Major (if required): Library Science
- Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school.
- Minimum seven (7) years of professional library experience to include experience in a university or corporate archives or special collection library, with a minimum of 3 years in a supervisory or leadership role.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in with digitizing archival holdings for online access.
- Extensive experience with digitization workflows, institutional repositories, and online presentation of archival and special collection resources, as well as reference experience in institutional archives and in developing exhibitions, presentations and other programming.
- Management experience in a university archives and special collection library.
- Track record of participation, publication or presentation in the archival profession.
- Experience in conducting oral interviews.
- Specialized training in archives, special collections or related areas.
Is this a safety sensitive position (are applicants potentially subject to drug testing)? No
Does this position require a criminal background screening? Yes
Quick Link: www.nsujobs.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=80554